Guwahati: Restaurants across Guwahati might remain closed for two days.
The news emerged after violent incidents were reported between customers and hotel staffs in various restaurants and hotels of the city.
Reportedly, the news of the two days' closure has been announced by the All Assam Hospitality Workers' Association (AAHWA).
The most recent case of violent conflicts took place in Hotel Palacio in the city when a group of six drunken men beat up a hotel staff brutally.
Saying that the incident could be termed as 'an attempt of murder' the General Secretary of AAHWA, Sailen Das said that they have given time for the police to act up. Demanding that the culprits in the case should be arrested as soon as possible, GS Das threatened that if such occurrences continue, the restaurants will stop functioning and providing services in the city.
As per reports, on the night of December 30, 2020, six men, who were unstable and drunken, had entered the mentioned hotel and ordered for a roll from the menu. However, due to a slight delay in serving the item to the customers, they forced their way inside the kitchen and started arguing harshly. When the six of them were asked to leave the kitchen as outsiders were not allowed in the pantry premises, they started violently beating up the chef. Later when other hotel staffs came in for rescuing the chef, they ended up beaten too.
Later, reports mentioned that the chef had to undergo ten stitches on his head and even suffered multiple injuries.
According to the victim, the six men had directly headed into the restaurant from a bar which was what caused the hooliganism on the December 30 night. After the incident, the main culprit has been reported absconding.
Meanwhile a case was registered at Dispur Police Station but no serious attention was said to be given by the police authorities on the matter so far.
Notably as per statements of Sailen Das, the police told in a meeting with the AAHWA that the culprit will be located soon.