Beijing: The first round of face-to-face negotiations between representatives of China and the US aimed at resolving the countries’ bilateral trade war ended on Wednesday in the Chinese capital.
“The US-China trade talks just concluded. If the results of the talks are positive, it would be beneficial for both countries and it would be good news for the global economy,” said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang at a press conference.
Although at first the meeting was scheduled to take place on January 7 and 8, negotiations continued until late in the evening and both sides decided to prolong them one more day, Efe news reported.
“I can only say that extending the consultations indicates that both sides were very serious about it,” Lu said.
The spokesperson did not provide any details on the outcome of the meeting, or on whether additional talks had been planned. Analysts cited by the official Global Times on Wednesday pointed out the conversation reflected the will of the negotiating teams to reach an agreement. (IANS)
Also Read: Business News