Shillong: A massive fire broke out at an old sawmill in Oxford Hills, Rilbong, Shillong. The incident took place at around 4.50 pm on Saturday.
Eight houses were completely gutted in the fire, said Sylvester Nongtnger, the Superintendent of Police of East Khasi Hills. During the inquiry, it was found out that the fire started from a storeroom of a fabrication unit.
Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire. Due to timely response, the fire was stopped from spreading to adjoining houses, the police official Saud.
The Eastern Air Command (EAC) also pushed two of its fire tenders to the spot and activated the emergency services.
No loss of life or any other injury was reported.
The fire caused the explosion of three gas cylinders. Although the police attributed the reason for the fire as short circuit, the locals, on the other hand, claimed that leakage of gas cylinders was the reason for the fire. They alleged that a local gas agency had distributed leaked cylinders earlier during the day.