GUWAHATI: In an unfortunate incident, a young man was electrocuted to death in Chandmari early Wednesday.
According to locals, the man was painting at the railway crossing gate around 7 AM in the morning near Chandmari when a high voltage wire struck him. He died on the spot.
The deceased man was identified as Diganta.
Meanwhile, Chandmari police reached the spot and took stock of the situation.
Earlier, this month a man was electrocuted and seriously injured while he was repairing a high voltage 33KV current, at Sarupathar town under Golaghat district on Saturday evening.
Onlookers informed that he got stuck while he was working on 33KV current and was rushed to the Sarupathar Civil Hospital. Onlookers also said that the situation of the injured person was very critical.
The injured person was identified as Moon Ramsiari (30), a resident of Chungajan in Dhansiri Subdivision under the Golaghat district. After the accident, Ramsiari was taken to the Sarupathar Civil Hospital in a critical condition for first-aid treatment; after that, the doctor referred him to the Golaghat Civil Hospital for further treatment.
It is also mentioned that the 33KV electricity work which is going on was a private one under a contractor. When Ramsiari was repairing a 33KV power line (feeder) on Saturday evening in Sarupathar town, the electricity supply suddenly resumed and Ramsiari was electrocuted and critically injured.
However, another worker said the accident occurred when he was working on 33KV current and the electricity supply to the particular line had been cut for repair but he accidentally touched a wire of another active power line (feeder) and got electrocuted.
The local people gathered around the area and alerted the electricity department and police. Ramsiari, the private APDCL worker was rescued hung upside down after five to ten minutes later. Ramsiari was screaming for help. The locals alerted the police and electricity department and officials then discontinued the electricity supply and rushed to the spot.