These days we are all continuously questing for remedies for various lifestyle and chronic ailments. However, it is necessary to stop at times and take cognizance of a few vital things that will ensure good health overall. This is exactly why I have chosen to write about some basic good health tips this time
What can make us happy? Well, not wealth but health. Health and happiness go hand in hand. Let's discuss useful tips to lead a healthy life.
• Food: Wholesome food is the crux of well-being. A balanced diet high in fruits and vegetables, lean protein, low-fat dairy and whole grains is what we need for optimal energy. Junk food should be avoided as far as possible.
• Breakfast: Never skip breakfast. Instead, it should be the main meal of the day as it helps to maintain stable blood sugar levels and a healthy weight as we are less likely to overindulge in eating during the day.
• Reduce salt and sugar intake after 40 years: A high salt intake can result in high blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease. Sugary foods and drinks are rich in energy and are best enjoyed in moderation as an occasional.
• Alcohol: We should go easy on alcohol and stay sober. Alcohol should always be consumed in moderation.
• Quitting tobacco: It should be a no to smoking and smokeless tobacco.
• Water: We should drink plenty of water during the day, around 2-3 litres a day. Water keeps our bodies hydrated and it is a natural cleanser for our organs and digestive system. Water also helps in flushing toxins out through the skin and urine.
• Sleep: Sleep deprivation can perpetuate serious health conditions, and affect metabolism, mood, concentration, memory, motor skills, immune system and cardiovascular health. We should sleep at least 7-8 hours at night. Sleep helps the body to heal, repair and rejuvenate.
• Exercise and Yoga: Getting the 150 minutes of weekly activity i.e., 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week does wonder to the human body. Exercise relieves stress and tension, strengthens muscles and boosts endurance.
• Balancing work and breaks: It is said that our brains become fatigued after 8 hours of work. So breaks between work are very important. Also, a vacation after every 6 months is very necessary for health and family bonding. Vacation relieves stress.
• Keep the company of good people: Connect with family, friends, and relatives who you enjoy being around. It radiates positivity and energises you.
• Reduce sitting, screen time and excessive news: News and social media are a part and parcel of our life but too much of everything is bad. If we stick to the TV or social media on our smartphones, we tend to spend hours sitting on the couch which is very bad for our spine. Also, the brain is bombarded with various stories, usually negative and brings in fear.
• Pursue a hobby: A hobby is the best way to spend leisure time. It brings a sense of inner peace.
• Good habits: Healthy habits like regular bath, washing of hands frequently, eating homemade food, and keeping our houses clean reduces the incidence of infectious diseases.
• Self-examination of our body: While taking bath or in front of the mirror, we should self examine ourselves and observe any changes. This is especially important for ladies as the breast examination can easily detect a lump or tumour.
• Annual Health Checkup: Though the majority of Indians don't do an annual health checkup, it is a very useful way to remain healthy. Diseases can be detected early. Also, some screening tests for cancers in women like breast cancer and cervical cancer can be done.
Also Read: A Woman who Persisted against all Odds to Teach