Vaastu was applied while designing several cities of India which are now leaders in the field of business. Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan, has been planned as per the guidelines of Vastu Shastra. It was founded by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh in 1727 and designed by Vidyasagar Bhattacharya following Vaastu norms. The city was built in eight part Mandala or grid following the Vaastu Mandala. The city was divided into nine blocks with two blocks allotted for the palaces and State buildings and the rest seven for public. The commercial area has nine shops in one block of cross street which is according to the nine parts of a direction in Vaastu. All the streets and roads are either East-West or North-south.
Historically, Jaipur is famous for palaces, forts and temples. Needless to say, they were all built following Vaastu norms. That is why they are flocked by tourists.
Most of the effluent houses in Jaipur are built in the (mansion) style just like other towns of Rajasthan. The havelis are provided with two courtyards. The inner courtyard is usually bigger allowing the vacant Brahmasthan while the outer one is smaller. The space between the two courtyards is designed in such a way that the inner one receives a cool air draft from the Kota stone or sandstone walls. So this inner courtyard becomes a comfortable place for the residents to relax. There is invariably a Tulsi plant in the courtyard.
Le Corbusier, a French architect applied the principles of Vaastu Shastra with modern architecture while designing Chandigarh. The master plan of Chandigarh is similar to the Vaastu Purush Mandala.
The Capital complex is situated at Sector one, which is defined as the head of the city. The main city Center is at Sector 17 which is the heart of the city. It has lungs on both sides in the form of open areas, parks and fields. The roads and streets are analogous to the circulatory system. Almost all residential sectors have an open space in the centre which the houses built around it in a grid.
The recently developed area of Dwarka, a suburban of Delhi, is built following Vaastu norms. It has become a favourite place for new settlers in Delhi as the main City has become too expensive and crowded. The Vidhan Bhawan in Bhopal has been constructed as per Vaastu.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS IN BUSINESS:
- If you are looking for a land or plot for your office, factory or any other commercial purpose, then go for Shermukhi (Lion-faced) plots. These plots are broader from front and narrow at the end. Also try to purchase land close to roads that are highly operational.
- Office buildings should face the North, Northeast or Northwest direction as it brings good luck and positive energy.
- According to Vaastu Shastra, the main door or entrance of the office building should face the East or North direction. Do not place anything that creates obstacle close to or in front of main entrance.
- The welcome room of business houses should be located in the East direction or the Northeast corner of the business houses or offices.
- Keep the central part of the office building empty.
- The room of the office owner should be in the Southwest direction and he or she should sit facing the North. Do not place temple or idols behind the owner’s seat. There should be a concrete wall behind owner’s seat and not any glass structure. His or her desk should be rectangular.
- Staff should work facing the North or East directions.
- To ensure a strong financial support system, free the Northwest (NW) zone of the business house from anti-elements and activities. Do not build toilet in this zone as it will hamper the financial support. Since white horses symbolise financial support, they can be placed in NW zone.
- Accounts department should be in the North and East zone and employees dealing with bank and cash transaction should sit facing the East and North direction. All the financial records should be kept in central North or Southwest of the cabinet.
- Businesses work on payments and new orders: With the help of Vaastu you can make this process smoother. Do not build pantry or paint the North zone with red or pink colours. Similarly, free the Southeast zone from blue colour and use green plants.
- The conference room should be placed in the Northwest direction.
- You can place an aquarium with nine goldfish and one blackfish in the Northeast direction.
- Desks or workstations should be rectangular or square but not L-shaped. Any irregular shape creates confusion and should be avoided
- All the electrical equipment should be placed in the Southeast direction of the office building.
- If your business is related to manufacturing, it should start from South and then move towards North and West before reaching the East.
QUESTION AND ANSWERS:
- What is the significance of different directions according to Vaastu?
Anuj Brahma, Kokrajhar
Ans: We have been discussing these in my articles. Since you are a student I like your interest in the subject and I am listing the Vaastu rules for different directions again as you may have missed them. Besides the four major directions i.e. North, South, East and West, there are four other directions at the four corners. They are Northeast (Eashanya), Southeast (Agneya), Southwest (Nairuthi) and Northwest (Vayuvya).
The East: The positive rays of the early morning sun enter our house from this direction. These rays are loaded with Ultra Violet (UV) rays which can destroy bacteria and negative energy. It is beneficial for the owner and the children to have the main door in this direction with lot of windows. The energy of this direction is mellow and spiritual. The children should study facing the East. Auspicious symbols on the door at the East can magnify the positive effects. It is extremely auspicious to have a water body at the East.
There should not be any dust bin, garbage or stack of stone or bricks in the East. This will affect children, name and fame. Problems of the bones and the heart are encountered.
The West: The sun is at its strongest at the West. So this direction should be blocked with heavy walls and kept slightly higher than the East. The toilet and the kitchen can be kept in this direction. The dining room is also advised in this direction.
The North: Because of the northward movement of the sun (Uttarayan from 14th January to 14th July), the North direction has an equal importance like the East. There should be more doors and windows at the North. It is very auspicious to have the main entrance at the North too. The North is responsible for wealth and any defect here will affect finances and career. Since the North is ruled by the water element, it is good to place an aquarium or wash basin at the North.
A defective North deprives one of love of mother, and respect and love from subordinates and servants. Several health problems related to the heart, chest, skin, gall bladder, hernia and blood are seen.
The South: This direction should be kept heavy and high to counter the potent rays of the sun. Keeping heavy items at the South will make the North lighter and hence will benefit the residents. As far as possible, avoid openings at the South except for the necessary windows and doors (for South-facing houses or flats).
Mars is the ruling planet at the South as well as Lord Yama. Mangal imparts life force, enthusiasm, bravery and happiness. People under good influence of Mars become important persons in the society.
There should not be any garbage or old and unused stuff at South. Defective south affects the health of the ladies more so for pregnant ones. Losses in business and job are often due to defects in the south.
The Northeast: The water element rules this direction. The underground water tank, wells, ponds or deep tube wells should be located at the Northeast. It is very good to have the main entrance at the northeast. This direction is also responsible for career, growth and development. It should never be blocked. Toilets, kitchen, garage or staircases are forbidden at the Northeast.
The Northwest: The air element rules the Northwest. The owner of the house should not reside in this direction. This is fit for the guest room, servant or staff quarters, garage, cowshed and pet house, etc. Marriageable daughters should sleep in the room at Northwest.
The Southeast: This is called the Agneya Kona as the Southeast is ruled by the fire element. There should not be any water body at the Southeast. The kitchen and electrical items are best at the Southeast. There should not be the main entrance at Eastern Southeast.
The Southwest: The earth’s magnetic force is at its maximum at the Southwest. This should be loaded and never kept light. It is recommended to keep money and other valuables at the Southwest. Water bodies are forbidden here. Even toilets, kitchen and staircases are to be avoided at the Southwest. The defects at Southwest affect the owner, the spouse and the eldest child. Problems related to the legs and the posterior are encountered.