Q. Good morning madam. I study in the 8th standard. My problem is that I don't want to study; I always want to think about some other things and fall asleep. I would be very thankful if you guide me how to study properly.
Ans: Try and take a quick walk before you sit down to study. This will help in boosting your memory. Speak Out Loud Instead of Simply Reading while you are trying to memorize your lessons. This way you are 50% more likely to remember instead of reading silently.
Once you complete a particular chapter, reward yourself with a treat. This will help keep you motivated.
Take regular study breaks in between. When your brain is working, you need to take regular study breaks to help your brain absorb more information but also to keep you motivated and focused when you are working. Take a short break after every 45-50 minutes of study as your focus and concentration will become impaired after this period.
1. Teach What You Have Learned. If required, you can teach a friend or even an imaginary friend. It helps clear concepts.
2. Practice Diagrams during study. This helps in better recall during exams.
3. Create Flashcards for key concepts, definitions, quotes and formulas. This will help you memorize better.
4. Practice. Practicing sample answers of past exam questions can help train your brain to retrieve information.
5. Don't Stay up All Night before an Exam. Make sure to get adequate rest the night before your examination. Adequate sleep will help your brain assimilate the information you have learned when studying. This will help you remember.
6. Study in a Group. Studying in a group can help you collect new insights to enhance your learning experience.
7. Mediate. Meditation will help you stay focused during study time. It will help you to concentrate when studying and help reduce exam stress.
Q. I am 20 years old and had a relationship with a junior of mine. We even had a physical relationship. But in the last year, she left me suddenly and got engaged to a guy chosen by her parents. I do not know the reason why she has treated me in this manner. I feel very depressed but I want to move on with my life. I try to study but am unable to do so. I want to get over this phase of my life, please suggest.
Ans: It is but normal to feel low when a relationship does not work out. I can understand what you must be going through. It is but human to feel what you are feeling. But how long can you keep your life at standstill? You will gradually have to move on as your ex has done. Concentrate in your studies and career and mix up more with like-minded people. This way you will slowly find yourself enjoying other activities. Don't sit and ponder why it happened, how it happened. It is of no use at all. There is absolutely no point in analyzing why things happened and why only to you. Other people also go through such life experiences at some point in their lives.
Take time out for yourself and engage in joyful activities. If you still continue feeling low. Then seek professional help.
Ms.Gariasi Dutta, MSW (TISS) is Psychological Counsellor with Down Town Hospital, Guwahati. She can be contacted at 98640-55560 or firstname.lastname@example.org