Vaastu earmarks positions for different rooms as per the five elements. The location of the bathroom is important just like the position of the bathroom accessories. For bathroom construction, the most appropriate location lies in the eastern portion of the house. But a toilet is not recommended at the East.
- The drainage system should be in the Northeast direction. Therefore, it is advised that the taps and showers should be fixed on the northern or eastern sides. The northern side is suitable for putting up the mirror as well as the eastern side.
- The toilet should be located at the West or the Northwest side of the room and should be ideally 1-2 feet above the ground.
- There must be a provision for proper lighting and cross ventilation inside the bathroom.
- As part of Vastu remedies for bathroom, it is suggested that the geyser should be placed in the Southeast corner since it is connected to the fire element.
- The suitable directions for keeping the washing machine are the Southeast and Northwest.
- The bathtub can be placed at the West while the sink should be kept on the Northeast, North or the East side of the room.
- The bathroom door should not be in the Southwest direction.
- If there is an overhead tank, it should always be on the Southwest side of the house.
- The bathroom colours should always be light to give a fresh look to the bathroom. White, light blue and pale green are the best choices for the same. Avoid dark colours like black or dark red.
- Always keep the bathroom shiny and clean, as proper hygiene allows flow of positive energy.
- You can keep some plants for decorative purpose in the bathroom.
- If tiles are fixed in the bathroom, keep them in neutral shades.
- The Southeast direction is the best for the installation of a geyser.
VAASTU AND YOUR SHOES
The astrological positions of planets play a definite role in a person’s life. Vaastu also does the same thing. Since Vaastu tells us how to live life, our way of dressing and keeping ourselves also play important parts. According to astrology, our shoes can determine a lot of good and bad times!
- GET RID OF TORN SHOES: DO NOT wear torn or worn out shoes while going for an interview or important negotiations like business, wedding proposals, etc. They will become a hindrance in success.
- THEFT OF SHOES: Contrary to belief, theft of shoes in religious places like a temple or congregation is very auspicious. Bad effects of Rahu and Ketuwill disappear alongwith them. If your shoes get stolen on a Saturday, it is especially good as it is supposed to get rid of bad effects of Shani.
- DO NOT LEAVE SHOES AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE HOUSE: Never leave the shoes outside the entrance of a house. Guests have a tendency to open and leave the shoes at the main door. This is very inauspicious. There should be a dedicated place outside the house to keep the shoes like a shoe rack.
- KEEP SHOES AT THE WEST: As the West is ruled by lord Shani (Saturn), it is the best direction to keep your shoes. Never keep the shoes at the Northeast. Southwest is also ideal for keeping the shoe rack.
- SHOE CABINETS: Shoe cabinets must not be placed in the bedroom, kitchen or prayer room. Keeping the shoes in the bedroom can have negative effect on married life. Shoe cabinets should be closed. Open cabinets can spread negative energy.
- WEARING SHOES INSIDE THE HOUSE: DO NOT enter the house with shoes on. This will not only bring dirt inside, but also invite negative energy along in the form of Rahu and Ketu. It has been an old custom to leave the shoes outside. Even in Western countries, they have shoes cabinets near the main entrance. The shoes should not be thrown scattered in the house. Kids have a tendency to do this after coming from school or play. They should be taught not to do this. Saturn’s malefic effects will take place, if shoes are kept here and there.
- DO NOT WEAR BUFF COLOURED SHOES TO WORK: Buff or beige coloured shoes are forbidden at workplace. People related with education or the banking sector should remember this in particular. They should wear coffee or dark brown shoes for luck.
QUESTION AND ANSWERS:
- We are planning to rearrange our child’s room. Which is the best direction for it and how should we arrange it?
Mrs Bimala Saikia, Jorhat
Ans: The best direction for constructing the children’s room is the West. Apart from that, West, Northwest, Northeast and Southeast directions can also be used for constructing the children’s room. Avoid the Southwest direction as this is designated for the eldest of the family and allotting this area to children will make them arrogant and domineering.
In a child’s room, the bed can be placed in the Southwest corner. Place the bed in such a way that your child has his/ her head facing the East or South direction, while sleeping.
As part of Vaastu guidelines for children room, it is recommended to avoid placing the mirror on the opposite side of the bed.
If you want to keep furniture items in a children’s room, keep them a few inches away from the wall. Don’t have the furniture attached to the wall, as it obstructs the flow of positive energy.
The study desk should be placed in such a manner that the child faces the East, North or Northeast corner while studying. East is the most appropriate direction, as it paves way for enhanced concentration. A table lamp at the Southeast of the study table is very good.
Avoid placing a television or computer directly opposite the bed. The television set or the computer monitor, when switched off, reflects the bed, just like a mirror, and is a bad omen. Children should not be given a mobile phone, and if you have done so, ask them to switch it off at night and keep it away from the bed.
If you must have a mirror and a television in the bedroom, have them either on the left or the right side of the bed. Keep them covered when not in use.
The door to children’s room should not be exactly opposite to the bed.
Sharp edges and corners should be avoided in children's room. They project energy beams which will make them restless and sick at times.
The centre of the child’s room should always be empty. Do not place anything in there.
The almirahs and cabinets should always be located in the South or West direction of the room. Uplighters, when placed in the southeast corner of children’s room, help promote health and generate positive energy.
Sharp lights as well as spot lights should never ever be used in kids' room, as they tend to create mental strain.
The doors as well as windows of children's room are best in the East or North. Centralwest or South are also good. The windows should be opposite to the door.
Green color proves the best for kids' room, as it is associated with freshness and peace and increases brain power as well. A light green table cloth also helps a lot.