Ankita Bhandari Case: Body Recovered, Ex- Minister's Son, Two More Held

The alleged murderers confessed to the police that they murdered the deceased as she refused their demand to indulge in sexual favours.
Ankita Bhandari Case: Body Recovered, Ex- Minister's Son, Two More Held

UTTARAKHAND: Only hours after the body of 19-year-old Ankita Bhandari, who went missing on the night of September 18, was recovered from a canal in Uttarakhand's Rishikesh on Saturday, locals set fire to the resort at which she worked. Ankita worked as a receptionist in the Vanantra resort in the Pauri district of Uttarakhand.

Ankita's mortal remains were recovered from Chilla canal in Rishikesh Uttarakhand.

The resort was owned by Pulkit Arya, the son of former Uttarakhand BJP minister Vinod Arya and the main accused in the teenager's murder case.

Police had arrested three persons allegedly involved in the murder of a 19-year-old girl, Ankita Bhandari. The three persons are Pulkit Arya (35), Saurabh Bhaskar (35) and Ankit Gupta (19).

While Pulkit Arya is the owner of the resort, Saurabh Bhaskar is the manager of the resort while Ankit Gupta is a staff member.

According to reports, Ankita went missing on the night of September 18. The family of the deceased filed a missing complaint the next day. Consequently, the police carried out investigations and arrested the three alleged culprits on Friday.

Yashwant Singh, the SSP of Pauri Garhwal stated that the police questioned the accused on Thursday night, who confessed to their crimes. Reportedly the alleged murderers confessed to the police that they murdered the deceased as she refused to the demand to indulge in sexual favours.

A huge uproar had commenced among the public, with everyone condemning the incident. Locals vandalised the resort and women beat up the accused while they were taken for interrogation. 

As stated by Saurabh to the police, on the evening of September 18, Pulkit and Ankita was involved in an argument in her room in front of him and Ankit.

According to reports by SSP Yashwant Singh, the three accused left the resort after the argument at around 8 pm along with Ankita. She sat with Pulkit while Saurab and Ankit sat together on another bike. They went towards AIIMS Rishikesh and then to Chilla Barrage where the three accused took liquor. That was followed by another argument and Pulkit pushed the girl off into the river.

Reports also said that Ankita threw Pulkit's phone into the river prior to Pulkit pushing her off into the river.

Shekhar Suyal, who led a 14-member probe team stated that after the incident the three went to Haridwar.

According to reports, Pulkit gave a call to the resort after the incident and asked to talk to Ankita. The next morning they informed other staff members that she had gone missing from her room.

Reportedly, some days prior to the incident Ankita had texted one of her friend informing that she is being asked to provide extra service to resort guests. She stated in the text that she was feeling insecure and that the owner once tried to kiss her forcefully.

After the alleged culprits confessed to the police, a rescue team of the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) searched the river and found her body Saturday morning. Family members of the deceased identified the body, which has now been sent to AIIMS Rishikesh.

Meanwhile,BJP expelled Vinod Arya and Ankit Arya, father and brother of Pulkit Arya, with immediate effect on Saturday

Also Watch: 

Top Headlines

No stories found.
Sentinel Assam