Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Bengaluru hostel set-up for NE girl students

Bengaluru hostel set-up for NE girl students

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  1 Sep 2018 6:35 AM GMT

A CORRESPONDENT

NEW DELHI: Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy on Thursday said that students hostel for girls from North East has been built in Bengaluru and is ready for inauguration soon.

Chief Minister Kumaraswamy informed this to DoNER Minister Dr Jitendra Singh and also invited him for the inauguration. The hostel has been funded by the North Eastern Council (NEC). The purpose of building the hostel is to support girl students from Northeast who want to pursue their study in Karnataka could stay together in this hostel, exclusively setup for the students of the region.

In 2016, the DoNER minister had laid the foundation stone of the hostel for Northeast girl students in Bengaluru.

The hostel, which is the first of its kind in Bangalore University, has a capacity to accommodate more than 250 students. The hostel has been funded by the North Eastern Council (NEC). The Minister informed that 75 percent of the seats in the hostel are proposed to be reserved for North East students, while the remaining 25 percent seats are proposed to be earmarked for students from other parts of country. “The composition of students from North-east and other parts of the country will help in better integration,” Dr Singh said. Considering the fact that Bangalore University attracts students from Northeast in huge numbers, many of whom find it difficult to afford accommodation, Dr Singh said, “it will be helpful for them, especially girl students.”

Next Story