Mumbai: After the Supreme Court and the Bombay High Court scrapped the applicability of Socially and Economically Backward Classes (SEBC) for the current year (2019), some 250 medical students who had secured admissions to various post-graduation courses in Maharashtra are now left high an dry. They are on the warpath since one week demanding that the Maharashtra government intervene in the matter immediately and prevent them from losing a valuable academic year, said Krishna Kirkre, spokesperson of the students’ group. “The government had promised us yesterday (May 13) that they would promulgate an Ordinance to reserve our seats, but almost a day later, nothing has happened… We have become the scapegoat in their politics,” Kirkre told IANS. The PG courses started on May 2, but on May 5 they were informed that their admissions were cancelled, though they had paid full fees and joined duties.
They had secured admissions on the basis of the Maratha quota (SEBC) while cancelling their seats won through the All India Quota, but the SEBC quota has been declared invalid for the current year, he added. The worse was, all other options of seeking admissions, like entrance exams, have already closed, and the students stand to lose their academic year, Kirkre said.
“The state government has made various assurances, but nothing concrete has come by way of a GR or order so far… We shall be compelled to intensify our agitation,” Kirkre warned. (IANS)
Also Read: NATIONAL NEWS