Home » World Blood Donor Day: Blood Donation Numbers A Worry In Meghalaya
MEGHALAYA NEWS

World Blood Donor Day: Blood Donation Numbers A Worry In Meghalaya

Meghalaya
Representative image

World Blood Donor Day

A Correspondent

SHILLONG: On the occasion of World Blood Donor Day, authorities have expressed concern over the lack of enthusiasm on the part of the citizens to donate blood.

Project Director, of the Meghalaya Aids Control Society (MACS), Dr S Lyngdoh, said, “We have been engaging in spreading awareness on the importance of donating blood. It lets us down when we organize a blood donation camp and only a few turn up.” Dr Lyngdoh said that it is the responsibility of each citizen to donate blood.

According to Lyngdoh, blood cannot be manufactured, so it is the responsibility of everyone to donate blood which can save someone’s life.
Lyngdoh informed that in Meghalaya, only 36 percent are voluntary blood donors and the rest 64 percent comes from replacement and family members.
He also informed that WHO has set a timeline of 2020 for all countries to have 100 per cent voluntary blood donated in the respective blood banks.

He also said that the MACS has discussed with the authorities that from this year onwards, if possible, blood donation programmes should be included in the school curriculum, so that the young ones are taught about the importance of blood donation and when they reach the age of 18 years they can voluntarily donate blood.

“I have discussed this with the Chief Minister and the Education Minister they have agreed to include in the school curriculum,” he said. Lyngdoh also said that it is time to engage every citizen of the State to make them aware and understand that they should come forward and donate blood.

Also Read: Blood donation camp by Extension Activity Cell of Jagiroad College on June 14

Tags