GUWAHATI: A suspected incident of food poisoning resulted in several people falling ill. The incident took place in the Bokiyal Narayanpur locality of Numaligarh in Assam.
The incident was reported after people consumed the rice procured from a fair-price shop in the Bokiyal Narayanpur locality of the region. The particular shop in question belonged to one Putul Dutta, an agent from Narayanpur of Uttar Morongi Samabai. They had reportedly procured the rice on Monday.
Local people complained that many people fall ill with stomach pain and diarrhoea after consuming the rice they bought from the particular shop. One lady named Dipali Das had to be hospitalised after he condition deteriorated.
Speaking about the incident Putul Dutta mentioned,” More than 80% of the April month’s quota of rice was distributed. There was no visible problem with the rice when we distributed the same to the people. As per the demand of the public, we are discussing with the authorities the possibilities of taking the rice back and steps will be taken as directed by the department.”
However, a family member of one of the affected people said, ”The rice had a very bad smell. We are not sure if it was rotten or if anything was mixed with the same, but people started falling ill after consuming the food. ”
Meanwhile, The first fire and emergency services station of Tingrai in the Tinsukia district of Assam was inaugurated by the elected representative from the Digboi Legislative Assembly Constituency, Suren Phukan on Monday. The new fire and emergency services station of Tingrai was established in the public playground of Tingrai. This project was made possible due to the initiatives of the MLA from Digboi and the support of the chief minister of Assam. This campus has been allocated by the local authorities temporarily as the location of the station to help the people of the locality.