SHILLONG: The Navy and Army personnel deployed in the rescue operation at the illegal rate-hole mine in East Jaintia Hills have been recalled by their respective “high commands”.
Informing this on Friday, spokesperson of the rescue operation, R Susngi said the Navy divers will be going back on Saturday.
“The Army also is leaving the site on receiving a call from higher authorities,” Susngi said. However, the National Disaster Response Force and the State Disaster Response Force and other agencies will continue the operation.
Of the 15 people trapped, the teams have retrieved two bodies so far, while three more bodies have been detected by the Navy’s Underwater Remote Operated Vehicle.
It may be mentioned that after 15 victims were trapped inside the illegal coal mine in Ksan village on December last year, only two bodies have been retrieved so far.
Meanwhile, the Coal India Limited continued to pump out water from the pit since Thursday evening and till Friday evening, the total discharge of water was 48,60,000 litres.
Kirloskar pumped out water for 32 hours since Thursday evening and till Friday at 5 pm the total discharge of water was 63,36,000 litres.
Also read: Meghalaya news