Chia seeds, scientifically known as Salvia hispanica; has gained popularity in the diet of various health-conscious families. It is smaller in size and can be eaten with several dishes like salads, smoothies, pudding, etc.
Anciently, it was mostly consumed by the Aztecs and Mayans. Do you know what 'chia' means in the historic Mayan terms? It means 'Strength'. It possesses numerous benefits for health and acts as a protective shield for various diseases.
Continue reading this article to have some knowledge about chia seed and its varied advantages.
Why Chia seed matter?
The American Society for Nutrition has stated that having chia seed will give you insoluble fiber that helps in keeping you full for much longer time and helps in preventing constipation. It comprises numerous minerals like:
Chia seeds benefit
Here are certain nutritional benefits of chia seeds:
• Chia presents you with numerous amount of nutrition but with quite a few calories: As mentioned earlier, it is rich in fiber and it helps in keeping you full for a long time. They are also quite low in calories. Hence, it is a very useful superfood for losing weight.
• Chia has antioxidants: Antioxidants can be very beneficial for health. Antioxidants help in the prevention of cancer and also aging.
• Chia is rich in fiber: Chia comprises insoluble fiber which helps in the reduction of blood sugar. These fibers also help in losing weight.
• It has a rich quality of protein: this seed comprises 14% of the rich quality of protein. It is very useful for weight loss.
• It constitutes beneficial omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 helps in the prevention of various heart problems like cardiac attack and stroke. It also helps reduces the LDL level and also lowers blood sugar.
• It is good for bone health: As it is filled with nutrients such as calcium, protein, magnesium, and phosphorus; all these essential nutritional elements contribute to bone health.
• They help to heal chronic inflammation: Chronic inflammation results in several heart issues and cancer. Studies have shown that consuming chia can help in healing choric inflammatory diseases.
• It goes well with your favorite dishes like you can add them into smoothies, pudding, salads, backed stuff, protein bars, fruit juice, jam, etc.
Although Chia seeds are known for its significant advantages it has some side effects too.
Gastrointestinal problems: It is favorable for your digestive mechanism but consuming too much can get you an upset stomach. Overconsumption of it can cause you abdominal pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea, and bloating.
Low blood pressure: Over-consuming of omega-3 can thinner your blood can cause lower blood pressure.
Blood sugar: It can encourage fluctuation of blood sugar level combined with fats and proteins, especially when you are on medication.
Allergies: Some people can be allergic to chia; it is from the mint family.
Pregnancy: Although it does not shows any severe side effects but avoid having it during your pregnancy as there exists some transformation into the digestive mechanism.