GUWAHATI: In yet another tragic incident involving jumbos in Assam, a wild elephant died due to electrocution in Gossaigaon on Wednesday morning.
The grown elephant is reported to have been killed after coming in contact with a live wire that was hanging from its pole, according to sources.
The incident reportedly occurred in Peripur area of Gossaigaon.
After receiving information about the incident, forest officials reached the spot, examined the dead elephant and conducted post mortem, the sources informed.
In another such heartbreaking incident earlier, one adult elephant died after the jumbo was electrocuted in the wee hours of September 2. The incident took place in the Mirza area of Kamrup district where the elephant came into contact with a live electric fence installed around a paddy field. Locals from the area saw the elephant lying dead in a paddy field and they informed local police and forest officials.
Soon after the incident was reported, police and forest officials rushed to the spot and recovered electrical wires which were illegally installed around the paddy field. Moreover, police have detained two people in connection with the incident. Speaking with reporters, DFO of Kamrup (East) Rohini Ballav Saikia informed that the forest department had detected the elephant and had detained two people in connection with the incident
"We detected that the adult elephant was electrocuted in the paddy field. We have seized the electrical wires and other items. We will take action as per law," the DFO said.
According to the forest officials, the elephant had come down from the hilly forest areas in search of food.
Man- elephant conflict is not new in Assam and it is attributed to the dearth of food in jungles, which force the jumbos to venture near human habitations in search of food. In fact it has increased in recent times as people intending to keep wild elephants from eating up their paddy in the fields, resort to tactics like installing electrical wires. With little knowledge of the power contained in the electric wires, they use high voltage wires which lead to the death of the jumbos instead of giving them a mild shock.