Guwahati: Assam Police on Friday detained a man from Juria in Nagaon district over an alleged Facebook post containing a death threat against Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
The detained man has been identified as Mobarak Ali. Police said Ali travelled from Kerala by train before appearing at Juria Police Station. His arrival followed a search conducted at his residence by a team investigating the alleged social media threat.
According to police, a Facebook account associated with Ali was allegedly used to issue a death threat against the Chief Minister, with the post reportedly suggesting that the killing would be carried out in exchange for money.
Police launched a search for Ali after the alleged post came to light and later managed to establish contact with him.
However, Ali has denied having any connection with the post. He claimed that he neither made the post nor read its contents, and alleged that unidentified people had deliberately implicated him in the case.
Ali said he had been falsely accused and that misleading reports had been circulated about him.
Police are now examining the Facebook account, the origin of the alleged threat and Ali’s possible involvement. Investigators are also trying to determine whether others were behind the post.
Further details are expected to emerge as the probe continues.