Ravi Choudhary
Sports

Delhi HC Orders Fair Process for Vinesh Phogat Ahead of Asian Games Trials

Delhi High Court questioned WFI’s move to bar Vinesh Phogat from domestic events and urged steps for Asian Games trials participation.

Sentinel Digital Desk

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday questioned the Wrestling Federation of India's (WFI) decision to declare wrestler Vinesh Phogat ineligible to participate in domestic competitions and asked the Centre to explore measures to facilitate her participation in the upcoming Asian Games selection trials.

A division bench of Chief Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia, while hearing Phogat’s appeal against a single-judge order refusing interim relief, observed that the federation’s departure from its earlier selection framework required closer scrutiny, particularly in light of the wrestler’s maternity break and return to competition.

The CJ Upadhyaya-led Bench orally remarked that motherhood could not become a disadvantage for an athlete seeking to resume her sporting career and observed that Phogat was an internationally accomplished wrestler.

Senior advocate Rajshekhar Rao, appearing for Phogat, submitted that the wrestler regained eligibility earlier this year and had completed registration formalities before being barred from participating at the last moment. He argued that the revised eligibility criteria introduced by the WFI effectively excluded Phogat by limiting participation in the Asian Games selection trials to medal winners from select national tournaments held during 2025 and 2026, a period during which she remained away from the mat because of maternity and post-partum recovery.

The Delhi High Court also expressed its reservations over portions of the WFI’s show-cause notice, which referred to Phogat’s disqualification from the Paris Olympics 2024 final after failing to make weight. It observed that the incident could not be viewed in isolation without considering the larger circumstances and questioned whether the federation’s approach advanced the interests of Indian wrestling.

During the hearing, the bench asked the Centre what steps had been taken after the issuance of the notice and whether the Union Sports Ministry had examined the WFI’s revised selection policy.

Counsel appearing for the Union government submitted that the Centre had not independently barred Phogat from participating in the trials and said relaxation provisions available under the Sports Authority of India (SAI) framework could be considered in appropriate cases. The government also said it was willing to appoint an observer from the SAI to monitor the trials and make sure the process was video-recorded. IANS

Also Read: Pep Guardiola Confirms Manchester City Exit