As Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on May 9th, 2021, announced the name of Himanta Biswa Sarma as the legislature party leader, Sarma sat on the podium alongside Tomar looking calm and composed.
Sarma has won the Jalukbari seat 5 times (2001, 2006, 2011, 2016 & 2021), lost just once in 1996. A former Congress politician, Sarma has served as the Cabinet Minister in all the 3 terms of Tarun Gogoi led Congress Government. He joined BJP in 2015 due to differences with the then CM Tarun Gogoi.
Sarma is known to be the best political strategist of Assam and Northeast and is often referred to as modern-day Chanakya. He has been the troubleshooter for BJP in the entire Northeast. He is also known as the BJP Mascot in Assam and NE. He is credited for the fast-spreading of BJP's footprint across Assam and NE. Sarma holds the position of NEDA convenor.
Many might think that another term of BJP rule in Assam could make the people from the minority community feel unsafe and insecure. But on the contrary, people from the Muslim community are happy that Himanta Biswa Sarma has been made the Chief Minister.
They feel that they are in safe hands and are confident that during his tenure as the CM, the focus on the Hindu-Muslim divide would fade away. People of the state feel secure that Sarma, with his experience as a former Health and FInance minister, would once again better manage the COVID situation in the state.
|Birthday:||1st February 1969||Birthplace:||Ulubari, Gandhibasti, Guwahati, Assam|
Himanta Biswa Sarma Early Life
Himanta Biswa Sarma is a politician of Indian origin, Born on 1st February 1969 to Kailash Nath Sarma and Mrinalini Devi. Sarma started working for the Assam government as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (representative elected by the voters of an electoral district or constituency to the legislature of State government in the Indian system of government) from the constituency of Jalukbari in Assam since 2001. A member of the Indian National Congress (INC), in the past.
Himanta Biswa Sarma Family
Although Sarma's place of birth was Jorhat, the family later shifted to Guwahati, more specifically to Ulubari, Gandhibasti. His father's name is Kailash Nath Sarma and his mother's name is Mrinalini Devi. His wife's name is Riniki Bhuyan Sarma. He got married to Riniki Bhuyan Sarma on the 7th of June, 2001.
Himanta Biswa Sarma and Riniki Sarma have two children- Nandil Biswa Sarma and Sukanya Sarma. Nandil Biswa Sarma did his schooling at The Doon School (an ICS board school which is thought as a costly school in India. Nandil passed his 12th standard in the year 2020. Nandil Biswa Sarma is a sports enthusiast, an athlete, and is fond of dogs.
Educational Qualification Background
Himanta Biswa Sarma did his schooling at Kamrup Academy School; Guwahati in 1985, and later enrolled in Cotton College, Guwahati to continue his further studies, whereby, he pursued political science. Sarma also did a Bachelor of Laws (undergraduate law degree) from Government Law College. Sarma also obtained a PhD degree from Gauhati University.
|General Secretary (GS) of Cotton College Student's Union||1991-1992|
Himanta Biswa Sarma as an Advocate
Sarma practised Law at Guwahati High Court from the year 1996 to 2001.
Himanta Biswa Sarma's Politics Inception
Sarma's political career started in the year 1996, when he joined the Indian National Congress. He was first elected as MLA from Jalukbari Assembly constituency in 2001 on a Congress ticket. He had defeated Assam Gana Parishad leader Bhrigu Phukan. Since then he has been winning the Jalukbari seat. He won the seat four times – 2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016. He has contested from the Jalukbari seat for the fifth time in this election.
He joined the BJP in 2015 following differences with the then Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
Sarma has served as the Assam Education, Health & Family Welfare, Agriculture, Planning and Development, PWD and Finance portfolios. He is Assam's current Finance, Health, Planning & Development, Education and PWD minister.
Political Career as BJP's Minister in Assam
It was in May 2015 that Himanta Biswa Sarma a frontrunner of the Congress in Assam, jumped ship and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party. Instantly he became an integral part of the saffron party in Assam and within months he became the lead face of BJP not just in Assam but in the whole of Northeast. He was made the NEDA (North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) Convenor and since 2015, Sarma has played a key role in making Northeast 'Congress Mukt' as was hoped by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah.
Sarma has been playing a key role as the Finance, Health, Education and PWD minister in the Sarbananda Sonowal-led BJP government in Assam.
His efforts have been lauded in handling the COVID pandemic in Assam in the first phase of the deadly virus.
He has also been instrumental in the proper role out of the new Education Policy.
Under his ministership several welfare schemes for women, students, particularly meritorious girl students have been rolled out.
Political Career as Congress's Minister in Assam
Sarma had served three terms as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Assam as a Congress politician. First elected in 2001, Sarma was re-elected again in the years 2006 and 2011. He was the Minister for Agriculture, Health, Planning and Development, Transformation and Development and Finance during the three term of the Tarun Gogoi-led Congress government of Assam.
Himanta's Popularity - Muscat of Assam
Himanta Biswa Sarma is one of the most charismatic and dynamic leaders of Assam. He is a great visionary and is at times referred to as the Chanakya of Assam and Northeast politics. He is seen as the BJP party's mascot in Assam. In the 2016 Assam Assembly elections, the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and once again in the 2021 Assam Assembly elections, he managed to create an electrifying atmosphere during the poll campaign. His dance moves have become very popular. He is a huge crowd puller.
Involvement in Social & Cultural Activities
In addition to the developmental works of the constituency, Sarma is also engaged with the welfare of deaf and dumb people. He is involved with different sports bodies of the state. He is the President of Assam Hockey Association, President of Assam Badminton Association and President of Assam Cricket Association.
Major positions held by him in various organisations
|Contribution in Organisation||Position Held|
|Welfare of Deaf and Dumb||President|
|Assam Hockey Association||President|
|Assam Badminton Association||President|
|Assam Cricket Association||President|
Sarma's 'Dr. Banikanta Kakati Merit Award' is another remarkable initiative to further empower girls by encouraging the students to perform better in their academics.
Role During CAA & COVID-19 Pandemic
The Citizenship Amendment Act (2019) was formulated on December 11th 2019 by the Parliament of India. It is the first time that religion became the base criterion for getting citizenship under Indian law. The Citizenship Amendment Act enables the illegal migrants belonging to six specified communities from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh to appeal for Indian Citizenship in two categories.
It was seen that, until recently, Sarma was considered an "enemy" for many people in the state. This was due to some of his actions during the anti-CAA protests. Sarma, on one occasion, also hit out to the Shaheen Bagh protestors saying that there is nothing in CAA that offends the Indian-Muslim community. He says in an interview that people who are sitting in the dharna in Shaheen Bagh are emotionally affecting the Hindu community, they are creating a front against Hindus in India which "I don't support", says Sarma. By being in support of CAA, which is assumed to have violated Article 14 of the Constitution that guarantees equal protection of laws, even to non-citizens, Sarma was the focal point of criticism in Assam.
But things took a different role from last year. With the sudden outbreak of Covid 19, Sarma with his various important decisions taken amid the crises emerged as a "hero" for the masses. While on one hand, Sarma gets the love, support, and praises of people for his effective handling of the Covid-19 situation in Assam, on the other hand, one can't help but recall how the same person was shown black flags when he tried to attend the State's Republic Day celebration held earlier this year.
Welfare Schemes Launched in Assam Under Himanta Biswa Sarma
During his incumbency as a Minister of Planning and Development of Assam, Sarma brought up many innovative welfare schemes for the citizens of Assam. When Sarma was made the Cabinet Minister for Health in 2006 and Eduction Minister in 2011, Sarma's skills and vision for administration got a major boost. It is under his leadership and guidance that the health security of Assam managed to reach great heights. The sector of Health in Assam had seen a great change under Sarma's guidance and leadership. He also brought up three more medical colleges Jorhat, Barpeta, and Tezpur. Apart from these, Sarma also started to work for a few more medical colleges in Diphu, Nagaon, North Lakhimpur, and Kokrajhar, all of which are currently in various stages of implementation. The Government of India, in its annual reports, had also pointed out the various procurements of the departments of Health and Education in Assam. In regards to the education sector, Sarma's procurements have been appreciated even by his strongest critics. It was under Sarma's leadership that almost 50,000 teachers got appointed for the first time through a transparent system called Teachers Eligibility Test (TET). Sarma also put an end to the system of interviews, which was considered the main reason for the rampant corruption in appointments. On 21st July 2014, Sarma stepped down from all his holdings. It is said that Sarma took this step due to some clash of opinions with former Chief Minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi.
Himanta Biswa Sarma as a Sports Administrator
Sarma became the President of the Assam Cricket Association in June 2016. He was, further, voted as the President of the Badminton Association of India on the 23rd of April, 2017. Also, Sarma had already been positioned as the President of the Assam Badminton Association. Sarma was, further, voted as the Vice-President of the Badminton Asia Council (BAC). The Badminton Asia Council's (BAC) President, Anton Subowo, also appointed Badminton Association of India Secretary (tournaments) Omar Rashid, general secretary of Assam Badminton Association (ABA) as the Deputy Chairman of Badminton Asia's development committee.
Books by Himanta Biswa Sarma
Sharing his urge to write books, Sarma said that "Samagata Samay" was his first book. During that particular time, the idea of publishing his thoughts, in the form of a book, didn't come to his mind. Sarma, further, said that, despite being in politics, he was quite away from politics at that time which gave him both time and opportunity to translate his thoughts into words and publish them in the form of a book. He was amazed to have received immense support and positive reaction from the readers.
Rich with innovative ideas, Sarma's book "Bhinna Samay Abhinna Mat" was released at PWD Convention and Training Centre at Dispur. The book release was graced with the presence of former President of Axom Xahitya Xabha, Dr. Dhrubajyoti Bora, noted writer Anuradha Sharma Pujari, Educationist Dr. Amarjyoti Choudhury and Vice-Chancellor of Assam Women's University Dr. Malini Goswami. Sarma said that with "Bhinna Samay Abhinna Mat" he has "put an effort to present his viewpoint as to what should be the way to safeguard what we call the Assamese Culture".
|Books Authored By Himanta Biswa Sarma|
|Samagata Samay||Bhinna Samay Abhinna Mat|
|Oinyo Ek Dristikun||Eta Sopunor Pom Khedi|
In the year 2016, "Oinyo Ek Dristikun" was published. It received huge appreciation from the readers and was a bestseller in book fairs held across the state. "Eta Sopunor Pom Khedi" is the fourth book by Sarma. It is a compilation of speeches on Assam. The book was unveiled at Hotel Taj Vivanta. The book release was graced by the presence of Conrad Sangma( Chief Minister of Meghalaya), Hitendranath Goswami( Assam Assembly Speaker), and Ranjeet Kumar Das (Assam BJP President). "Eta Xopunor Pom Khedi" is a compilation of facts of different aspects like social, political, cultural, etc. The publisher of this book is Saraswati Prakashan.
Recently, he also did Assamese translation of Amit Shah's biography which is launched by CM Sonowal.
Himanta Biswa Sarma Controversies & Allegations
The following are some controversies & allegations with which himanta mess with.
- A row or upheaval was created after the Assam health, finance and education minister passed a comment saying that people suffer from cancer and accidents because of the sins committed in the past. He called it "divine justice" and further added that, "It is mentioned in even in Gita and Bible about the outcome of one's actions. No point in being sad…everyone will face the outcome of this life's actions in this life only. Nobody can escape the divine justice that will happen". After this comment was made, he received insensitive remarks, and the next day Sarma tendered an apology whereby he called the controversy "mindless and triggered by few political desperadoes".
- Another comment by Sarma, which can be considered a little controversial, was being made just two days after the above-mentioned comment regarding cancer was passed. Here, Sarma said that after knowing that Assam was given high priority by the RSS and the Bharatiya Janata Party, he felt that he has wasted 23 years of his political life being in the Congress.
- A scathing attack against Congress was made, whereby, he alleged that Congress had deliberately kept the history of Assam out of the national discourse.
Major Decisions by Himanta Biswa Sarma as a Minister
In the last five years, the Assam government has appointed as many as 71,000 teachers in the educational institutions said Assam's Education Minister, Himanta Biswa Sarma. Sarma said, at an event in Guwahati, that the recruitment number of teachers is almost close to 30,000. He, further, added that they have almost filled up the vacancies that existed in the education department by recruiting 71,000 teachers in the last five years. Sarma also shared a tweet saying, "A matter of great pride as handed over 29,701 appointment letters to teachers and non-teaching staff today, first-ever such drive in Assam. Congratulations to all deserving teachers and staff. We count on your contribution,"(Feb 5, 2021)
Himanta Biswa Sarma's Portfolio
Here is the list of portfolio's Himanta Biswa Sarma have in current BJP-led Assam Government.
Himanta Biswa Sarma
Planning & Development Health and Family Welfare
Education (Higher, Secondary, Elementary)
Handloom & Textiles (only Khadi and Village Industry)
Pension and Public Grievances
List of Rallies, Inaugurations & Tweets by Himanta Biswa Sarma
Here is the list of rallies & inaugurations & other important events by Himanta Biswa Sarma in chronological order from January 2019 to present...
- Born in Narayanour, Lakhimpur, Nitumoni Saikia is the editor-in-chief of Pratidin Times. In February 2019, a clash of opinion ensued between Nitumoni Saikia and Himanta Biswa Sarm regarding the Moinbari Satra in Assam. In a Bharatiya Janata Party rally, in Tezpur, Sarma lambasted Nitumoni Saikia Saying, "Moinbari Satra has turned out to be a controversy, and became a pilgrimage site. Journalists are now moving in and out of the site. Since, people are visiting the place so frequently, I would suggest them to bring and place the Akhyai Banti (the continuously burning earthen lamp inside a religious place) there.
"People are saying that I had challenged them to visit Moinbari Satra, so they went there. But I didn't challenge them to simply go there, I challenged them to go and light the Akhyai Banti in the Satra. Otherwise, everyone is visiting here and there, where they can have local chicken, and they don't have any objection to that", charged Biswa Sarma.
In response to this statement, Nitumoni Saikia said, " I am well aware of what Himanta Biswa Sarma has said about me at the BJP convention in Tezpur. After listening to his statement, I feel pity for him because I think he might have forgotten in today's convention as well."
"He challenged me to go to Bagbor and Moinbari, and I accepted the challenge and went there. Even today, he has made remarks about lighting earthen lamps in Moinbari Satra in a controversial manner. So, I am saying that he does not have the sense of what he is commenting on. At last, I simply want to wish Himanta Biswa Sarma a victorious journey. Time will give the necessary answers to everything, so we must wait for the right moment."
- On March 2nd, 2019, Sarma shared a tweet saying that the Honourable Supreme Court has observed that the mass immigration of Bangladesh Muslims to Assam amounts to internal aggression. Sarma said this at #IndiaTodayConclave2019 .
- On 4th April 2019, Sarma shared a tweet informing that people from all sections of society joined the roadshow at Dibrugarh. He further added that there is absolutely no doubt that people would select or vote for BJP in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- On April 9th, 2019, Sarma shared a video on his Twitter handle from Nalbari pad yatra. He further wrote a message talking about the joy and fun of being with the people, dancing, chanting, and rejoicing with them.
- On 10th April, Sharma shared another video of the Nagaon Pad Yatra, saying that as he passed through the streets during the pad yatra along with Piyush Hazarika( Bharatiya Janata Party politician from Assam who has been elected in Assam Legislative Assembly in an election in 2016 from Jagiroad constituency), Ramakanta Dewri ( Bharata Janata Party politician from Assam who has been elected in Assam Legislative Assembly election from Marigaon constituency), and Angoorlata Deka( first term member d the Assam Legislative Assembly) seeking votes for Rupak Sharma, the people of Nagaon greeted them with utmost glee and happy faces, wrote Sarma.
- On May 25th, 2019, Sarma shared another tweet informing that PM listed two vital mantras for governance and captured it in NARA ( whereby NA stood for National Ambition and RA stood for Regional Aspirations) in his speech.
- On July 5th, 2020, Sarma spent some time at GMCH ICU Ward with the doctors and nurses, whereby, he tried to understand the protocol of treatment.
- On September 4th, 2020, a war of words broke out on Twitter between Sarma and AIMIM leader Asaduddin Owaisi regarding the NRC process in Assam. While Owaisi said that India should protect all Indians, not Hindus, Sarma tweeted back that if India does not protect Hindus who will protect them. Owaisi further criticized the NRC process in Assam and said that it is used to "exclude Muslims".
- On 14th December 2019, Sarma tweeted that curfew in Guwahati most likely would be relaxed from the next day. He further says that PWD workers are working overtime to clear the mess in the city, which was made due to Vandalism on December 11 and 12. Sarma himself visited to check the progress in some spots.
- On 20th of December, 2019, Sarma shared a video from Nalbari Peace March. He said that from elderly women to young children, all joined the march.
- On January 10th, 2020, Sarma shared two pictures of rallies from the Dhemaji district. While the first picture, claims Sarma, showed the crowd at All Assam Students' Union (AASU) and the next showed a crowd at a Bharatiya Janata Party rally organized in Dhemaji. He tweeted a message alongside these pictures saying, "Here are two Dhemaji pictures that sum up the mood in Assam. Need I say more?" In these two pictures, it can be seen that a much larger crowd is gathered at the Bharatiya Janata Party rally or the pro-CAA rally, and a comparatively smaller crowd is gathered at the AASU or anti-CAA rally. Both the photos are, in fact, from rallies held by the two parties in Dhemaji on 8th and 9th January respectively, and Sarma seems to have cropped the AASU photo to make the crowd look smaller while in reality, the crowd was much larger.
- In January 2020, Sarma announced that a scholarship, 'Hindustan Paper Corporation Scholarship Scheme' will be provided to students whose parents were employed in Hindustan Paper Corporation's units at Pachgram and Jagi Road. The amount of the scholarship was Rs 1 lakh. Sarma further added that 'we promise to always be with students in pursuit of their dreams.
- Sarma provided some more information saying that "If an employee has three children, one is pursuing Engineering, another one doing a post-graduate course in and out of Assam and the younger one is in higher secondary, all three of them will get their scholarships. Meaning, the family will get a total of Rs 1,00,000 + Rs 75,000+ Rs 25,000 a total of Rs 2,00,000,".
- On February 12th, 2020, Sarma launched the Gyan Deepika Scholarship that was announced in Budget 2019-2020 at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalashetra, Guwahati. He, further, informed that under this scheme (Gyan Deepika Scholarship) students will be provided with a subsidy of Rs. 700 per month for ten months through Direct Bank Transfers (DBT) on dues to thirteen thousand four hundred and fourteen hostel students of government colleges and state universities. Sarma said that both these schemes by the Government of India are of immense importance in providing financial relief to families with children who want to attain higher education."
- On May 11th 2020, Sarma asked the police to register an FIR against a person who posted a fake tweet in his name. In this tweet, the number of Covid-19 cases was mentioned in an escalated manner. The tweet said that this rise in cases was linked to a bus that brought people from Rajasthan to Assam. When the news reached Sarma, he said that he hasn't posted any such thing from his account.
- On June 17th 2020, Sarma made a tweet informing that the Education Department has released an amount of Rs.1000 for sixty-seven thousand five hundred and thirty-one under-graduate students under the 'Pragyan Bharti' Scheme as announced in the Assam Budget 2020.
- On 15th August 2020, Sarma unfurled the National flag at Morigaon, he said that on behalf of the people of Assam, he offers a solemn commitment to transform Batadrava Than in Bordowa, which is the place of birth of Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardev by enhancing the grandeur and magnificence per excellence.
- On 29th August 2020, Sarma gave a speech which he later shared on his Twitter handle. He said that he believes the cleaning appointment process itself will not change the education system. There are much more things to be done. Sarma talks about the mindset of people, which needs to be changed. He also said that, at some point in time, these teachers will create a new world for our poor people.
- On 4th September 2020, Sarma told reporters that the majority among a thousand people are estimated to have died due to post-COVID 19 complications. Sarma also informed that amidst a rise in the number of COVID 19 cases in the state, the number of deaths after treatment of COVID 19 is also rising which Sarma said is of major concern. The post- coronavirus complications are rising. Most patients, he says, are adapting well in isolation in the starting days, but develop issues related to breathing after turning COVID19 negative.
- On 6th November 2020, Sarma shared a video of people shouting PAKISTAN ZINDABAD at the arrival of Badruddin Ajmal at Silchar Airport. Sarma wrote in the tweet that this scene thoroughly exposes Indian National Congress, which is motivating such forces by allying. Sarma says that "We shall fight them tooth and nail".
- On 27th November 2020, Sarma travelled through BTC and shared a video and wrote that the picturesque Dotoma in Kokrajhar glows further with people's overwhelming affection and warmth.
- On 28th November 2020, Sarma tweeted saying that he feels deeply touched by the warm welcome received at Baganpara, where the mass cheered for Bharatiya Janata Party.
- On 29th November 2020, Sarma shared a video from Baksa, whereby, he thanked the people of Suklai Serfang, saying that he is forever in awe of the lovely people there whose vibrance is contagious.
- On the same day, Sarma attended a grand rally at Suklai Serfang in the Baksha district that attracted a huge crowd. This rally was also attended by Bharatiya Janata Party National General Secretary Dilip Saikia, Bhabesh Kalita( Indian politician), Lok Sabha MP Pallab Lochan Das, Biswajit Daimari (former Rajya Sabha MP), and few other top leaders. Sarma through a tweet shared pictures of the rally.
- On 3rd December 2020, Sarma addressed Mega rallies at Hrisinga and Rotwa under Udalguri district. In the run-up to the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC), North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) convenor Sarma has been taking part in various rallies in all the four districts under Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC). Sarma has joined the bike rally from Mazbat to Rotwa in Udalguri. Sarma also addressed a crowd at Rotwa whereby he severely criticized the Bodoland People's Front (political party in the state of Assam, India. The headquarters of this party is situated in the town of Kokrajhar and was in the autonomous region of Bodoland) led by Hagrama Mohilary (Indian politician who has served as the Chief Executive Member of the Bodoland Territorial Council.) Sarma said, "We have to introduce Panchayati raj system in the BTC areas. Then, poor section will be benefitted. Otherwise, we will always face deprivation and under-development".
- On Jan 2, 2021, Sarma shared few pictures in his tweet informing everyone that he along with BJP National Gen Secretary and Member of Parliament Sri Dilip Saikia, Member of Parliament Naba Kumar Sarania, and Members of Legislative Assembly distributed scooters under Dr. Banikanta Kakati Merit Award at Mushalpur in Baksha to 542 meritorious girl students.
- He made another tweet where he announced the HSLC and HS examinations, 2021
- Sarma attended a felicitation ceremony and organisational meet of BTR ( Bodoland Territorial Region which is an autonomous area in Assam that is made up of four districts on the north bank of the Brahmaputra river below the foothills of Bhutan and Arunachal Pradesh) at Kokrajhar along with Bharatiya Janata Party National GS Dilip Saikia, State President Ranjeet Kumar Das, Organisational Secretary Phabindranath as well as newly elected MCLA and Executive Members of BTC. He further added that they had a fruitful discussion.
- Sarma attended another meeting at Kokrajhar with officials to discuss PED workers in BTR. The meeting was also attended by Member of Parliament Dilip Saikia, Member of Legislative Assembly Ranjeet Kumar Dass, and BTC CEM Pramod Boro.
- On January 3rd, Sarma attended and shared a live video of the Scooter Distribution Ceremony from Sivasagar under Dr. Banikanta Kakati's Merit Award.
- Along with Minister Jogen Mohan, Members of Parliament Kamakhya Tasa and Topon Kumar Gogoi, and members of Legislative Assembly, Sarma distributed scooters to 948 meritious girl students in Sivasagar.
- Delivered a speech at Srimanta Shankardeva Award, 2020, at Kalashetra
- On January 4th, Sarma announced that he shall be joining a cycle rally at Nazira (Sivasagar) from 11 am onwards.
- Sarma said that over 4000 bicycles and 1000 motorbikes joined the rally at Nazira and added a rare vibrance to the rally.
- Sarma further inaugurated the Tourist Lodge at Charaideo, constructed under United Funds in the presence of Minister Jogen Mohan, Member of Parliament Kamakhya Tasa, and Member of Legislative Assembly Nabanita Handiq.
- On January 6th, Sarma attended 'Kritagyata Samaroh'in Morigaon along with Sarbananda Sonowal. Sarma congratulated the newly elected Tiwa Autonomous Council and gave his best wishes to CEM Shri Jiban Chandra Konwar, further adding that together they shall work towards the betterment of people in Assam.
- On January 7th, Sarma attended All Koch Ranjbonshi Students Union's 20th Kendriya Swahid Divas Udjapon at Golokganj, Dhubri district along with Members of Parliament Biswajit Daimar and Jayanta Malla and Members of Legislative Assembly. Sarma further said in his tweet that the rich cultural heritage of the Rajbongshi Community and their warmth is always heartening.
- An interaction with thirty children between the age group of 3-14 years with critical ailments from across Assam was scheduled. Sarma along with other experts took part.
- On January 9th, Sarma attended a bike rally at Golaghat from 11:30 am onwards. He shared few links along with the tweet.
- Sarma thanked the people of Golaghat for the warmth, support, and affection at the Public meeting held that day. Party president Ranjeet Kumar Dass, Member of Parliament Kamakhya Tasa and Topon Gogoi, Ex-MLA Ajanta Neog, and MLA Mrinal Saikia were also present.
- On 10th January, Sarma laid the foundation stone of Office cum Laboratory Building, Residential Quarters, Boundary Wall, etc for Regional Forensic Science Laboratory at Jorhat. The project said Sarma is worth rs. 9.73 cr and is planned to be constructed at NCC Campus.
- On the same day, another foundation stone of 580.6m ROB on Kamarbondha Road in Jorhat. This project is worth Rs. 78.27 cr and will be constructed under a 50.50 cost-sharing scheme. It is supposed to be ready in two years.
- On January 11th, Sarma welcomed National President Sri J.P Nadda ( He was the BJP's working President from June 2019 to Janwary2020). The Vijay Sankalpa Samabesh at Silchar, said Sarma, is the starting of their campaign for the upcoming Assembly Election.
- In another tweet made on the same day, Sarma said that Assam is grateful to Union Health Minister Sri JP Nadda, who contributed or gifted 1350 cr AIIMS in Guwahati. Nadda's vision says Sarma will mean a great boon or advantage for the people of the Northeast.
- On January 12th, Sarma shared few links in his next tweet whereby he was to be seen speaking on Swami Vivekananda from Srimanta Sankrdev Kalakshetra.
- With extreme delight and honor, Sarma attended the inauguration of the Academic Programme at AIIMS Guwahati along with Honourable Chief Minister Sri Sarbananda Sonowal. The new AIIMS campus says Sarma will open numerous opportunities in the medical stream and will provide health benefits to the complete Northeast.
- On 13th January, Sarma participated in another Bike Rally from Malipara to Pathshala at 11:20 am.
- Sarma attended another Foundation stone laying ceremony of Bajali Sub-divisional Hospital in Patsala.
- Yet another foundation stone was laid of Dr. Jinaram Das Road in the presence of Member of Legislative Assembly Sri Ranjeet Kumar Dass. The road is worth 20.50 cr, is 22km in length, and will be the shortest link between Pathshala (Education Hub of Assam) and Sarthebari ( famous for its Bell Metal Industry).
- The next foundation stone that was laid was in Bajali SDCH at Pathshala in the presence of Honourable Member of Legislative Assembly Sri Ranjeet Kumar Dass. Sarma further added to his tweet that the state-of-art hospital worth Rs. 16.22 cr shall have all modern care facilities, thus strengthening medical infrastructure in Assam.
- On 16th January, health workers in India begin to receive the COVID 19 vaccine.
- Sarma made another tweet saying that ever since 2002, they started acknowledging meritious students of the Jalukbari constituency. 2021 is the 19th year whereby they have felicitated 1631students who completed HSLC and HSSLC with first div and star mark in the 2020 examination in Amingaon.
- On 17th January, Sarma made a visit t the under-construction site of the 500-bed medical college at Nalbari along with Minister Bhabesh Kalita who is a Bharatiya Janata Party politician of Assam, voted in Assam Legislative Assembly election in 2016 from Rangiya), Member of Parliament Dilip Saikia,( another Member Of Legislative Assembly), Ashok Sharma (an Indian politician who was elected to the Lok Sabha, more precisely the lower house of the Parliament of India from Rajnandgaon, Madhya Pradesh as a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party) and ATDC Chairman Jayanta Malla (Indian Politician from the state of Assam who was a one-term member of the Assam Legislative Assembly starting from 2011 to 2016).
- Sarma attended the Golden Jubilee Year Celebration of Takam Mising Porin Kebang at Jonai along with Honourable Members of Parliaments and Members of Legislative Assembly.
- On January 18th, Sarma laid a foundation stone for a new bridge over River Kumatia in the presence of the Member of Parliament, Pradhan Baruah, and Member of Legislative Assembly, Dr. Ranoj Pegu. He also informed through a tweet that the project has been sanctioned a budget of Rs. 43.54 cr.
- Sarma attended the Pre Budget Consultation Meeting chaired by Hon FM Smt Nirmala Sitharaman from Dhemaji by VC where he discussed the upcoming Union Budget of the year 2020-2021 along with CM, Dy CM, and fellow FMs of States and UTs.
- On January 19th, Sarma participated in yet another cycle rally from Dhalpur to Narayanpur via Simaluguri, Rangamati at Bihupuria from 10:30 am onwards.
- In the next tweet on the same day, Sarma said that Sri Madhavdev Kalakshetra in Narayanpur, Lakhimpur is planned to be a socio-cultural venture worth Rs. 34.45cr. The entire project is envisioned on the lines of the Srimanta Sankardev Kalashetra in Guwahati.
- On 20th January, Sarma attended the launch of Akshaya Patra's Guwahati Kitchen along with Sarbananda Sonowal. This initiative, says Sarma, can feed 50k students every day.
- On January 25th, Daffodil College of Horticulture was inaugurated by Sarma. He further laid the foundation stone for the college of Agriculture.
- On January 26th, Sarma offered a tribute to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. He dis this by pitting garlands in their statues.
- On January 29th, Sarma laid the foundation stone of Government Model College at Koila Moilain Chirag. The program was also graced by the presence of BTC CEM Pramod Bodo. The project is worth Rs. 14.07 cr and will contribute to strengthening higher education in BTR.
- They laid the foundation stone of the bridge that is to be constructed on Barama-Dhamdhama Tamulpur Road under the SOPD Scheme.
- Sarma next inaugurated the Rs. 451,22 cr Tamulpur- Paneri-Udalguri road constructed under Northeast State Road Investment Programme in presence of BTC CEM Pramod Bodo and Member of Parliament Biswajit Daimar.
- On 31st Jan, Sarma visited Gohpur whereby he attended the 53rd Annual Conference of All Bodo Students Union.
- On February 22, 2021, Sarma made a tweet informing the public that the Bharatiya Janata Party is spending more money on the fishery sector. The amount that the party is investing is way more than any amount that has been spent by the earlier governments since the time of Independence. A scheme of Rs.20, 000 crores has been brought up which will further work towards the betterment of the Assamese people said, Sarma.
- Sarma made another tweet on the same day saying that they are welcoming PM Sri Narendra Modi Ji to Silapathar. He further added that the enthusiasm seen among the crowd on that occasion shows their excitement in meeting their leader and hero.
- Yet another tweet was made whereby he said that he will be addressing two public meetings that day, one at Sasoni, Naharkatia around 2 pm and another at Namrup at 4:30 pm. He asked the people of Assam to attend the meeting in large numbers saying that their support is always valuable to them.
- In the next tweet, Sarma announced that the honorable Prime Minister Sri Narendra Modiji has launched three projects from Silapather, Dhemaji.
- Two more developmental projects were launched on the very same day in the presence of Honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modiji. The projects are-
- Inauguration of Dhemaji Engineering College
- Foundation stone laying of Sualkuchi Engineering College
- Sarma made yet another tweet on the very same day whereby he showed his happiness on being able to lay the foundation stone of several important development projects at Sasoni, Naharkatia along with Rameswar Teli who is a member of Bharatiya Janata Party and Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha from Dibrugarh. He is also a Minister of State in the Ministry of Food Processing Industries since 30th May 2019) and Taranga Gogoi, State Secretary, BJYM.
- The next tweet by Sarma was a promise to complete the Sasoni-Belbari Ali-Tikra Balighat Bridge within a time frame of 18 months.
- In the next tweet, Sarma thanked all the people who joined the Vijay Sankalp Samaroh at Namrup in Naharkatia. He further shared some pictures of the gathering in his tweet.
- Yet another tweet was shared where Sarma talked about him inaugurating an indoor stadium at Naharkatia. He also shared his delight at getting a chance to play some badminton on that particular occasion.
- In the next tweet that was made on the same day, Sarma asked the people of Assam to join them on February 23rd, which was marked with several important inaugurations and other programs at Sadiya, Bokajan, and Hojai. He also shared his schedule on the tweet.
- On 23rd February 2021 Sarma shared another tweet saying that over 1235 days ago on October 4, he had laid the foundation stone of Sadiya Civil Hospital in Chapakhowa. And it was gratifying for him to see that critical infrastructure of Rs 20.53 cr get ready in time which was inaugurated in the presence of Min Sanjay Kisan and MLA Boli Chetia.
- In the next tweet that was shared, Sarma talked about pursuing the vision of our Honourable Prime Minister by expanding the healthcare network across Assam. Sarma was glad to have performed Bhoomi Pujan of the 100-bed Bokajan Civil Hospital worth Rs. 24.22cr. The occasion took place under the esteemed presence of Sum Ronghang (politician belonging to Bharatiya Janata Party who has been elected to Assam Legislative Assembly election in 2016 from Diphu constituency), Horen Sin Bey (politician belonging to Bharatiya Janata Party who is elected to the Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Parliament of India from Autonomous District, Assam in the 2019 Indian general election), Dr. Numal (a politician who has been serving as a Member of Legislative Assembly from 17 no Bokajen Legislative Assembly constituency in the Karbi Anglong district of Assam), Tuliram Ronghang, K Rongpi.
- On the same day, Sarma took part in the also inauguration of a Mini Stadium, an auditorium hall, an Indoor Stadium, and an Open Stage at Bpkajan Sports Association Playground, RCC bridge, and several other projects at Bokajan under the Finance Min Special Package in presence of Horen Sing Bey, Dr. Numal. Tuliram Ronghang and Madhurjya Dhekial Phukan.
- In the next tweet, Sarma said that the total cost of all these projects at Bokajan sums up to more than 100 cr. He further added that these projects shall lead to all-around development in the area.
- The next tweet was regarding the inauguration of Library and Hostel at Bharat Seva Ashram at Bokajan in the presence of Horen Sing Bey, Member of Legislative Assembly Dr. Numal, and KAAC CEM Tuliram Ronghang,
- Sarma also took part in the inauguration of Hojai Civil Hospital in the presence of Siladitya Dev and Sibu Misra (both members of the Legislative Assembly). The facility was constructed at Rs 27.63 cr and is furnished with important medical facilities and is an important step forward taken by the government of Assam.
- Over a tweet, Sarma also congratulated Rabindra Nath Tagore University in Hojai for having upgraded its infra over time and its pursuit of providing quality education to students. He also participated in the inauguration of the Administrative Building at the university premises today, which was attended by Siladitya Dev and Sibu Misra, both members of the Legislative Assembly.
- Sarma shared his schedule for 24th February 2021 and mentioned that he will be attending several important inaugurations in Kamrup that day. He also urged everyone to join him in a Cycle Rally at Rangia scheduled on the same day.
- The first tweet of 24th February 2021 was regarding the Honourable Home Minister of India, Amit Shah's upcoming visit to Assam to join Puja of Pran Prathistha Mahotsav at Maha Mrityunjay Temple at Purunagudam, Nagaon on Thursday, February 25, 2021. He further mentioned that the venue was inspected ahead of the ceremony to ensure that all preparations are in place.
- The next tweet made said that Honourable Home Minister Amit Shah was to join the Mangolik Subha Batadrava Than at Nagaon on his visit scheduled on February 25th. The project was of much importance and was much anticipated said Sarma.
- Sarma inaugurated the Office of New Guwahati Treasury Office at Chandmari Colony.
- Sarma next shared a video of him delivering a speech at the foundation stone ceremony of Amingaon Science Centre and Planetarium in Pachim Dadra, North Guwahati.
- Sarma also inaugurated two auditoriums- one at Bangshor, Sualkuchi, and another at Pacharia, Kamrup. He said that Assam boasts of a Vibrant and rich culture and it's critical to have to enable facilities to allow this to thrive along with our literary traditions.
- Yet another foundation stone was laid at Amingaon Science Centre and Planetarium at Pachim Dadara, North Guwahati along with Keshav Mahanta who is a Politician from India voted to the Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Parliament from the Kaliabor Constituency of Assam in 1996 as a Member of Asom Gana Parishad.
- Video footage of the cycle rally at Rangia was shared whereby Sarma wrote that he felt privileged to have received such generosity and overwhelming kindness of people.
- The next tweet shared contained some pictures of diyas light up at Batadrava Than. Sarma said that the Honourable Home Minister, Sri Amit Shah would lay the foundation stone of this ambitious project to develop and transform the place which is the birthplace of Mahapurush Srimanta Snkardev.
- Sarma welcomed Honourable Home Minister, Sri Amit Shah at LGBI Airport in Guwahati.
- Sarma attended the Pran Prathistha Mahotsav of the Maha Mritunjay Temple at Nagaon along with Honourable Home Minister Sri Amit Shah, Honourable Chief Minister Sri Sarbananda Sonowal, Sri Baijayant Panda( Indan politician, national vice president and spokesman of the Bharatiya Janata Party), Sri Ranjeet Kumar Dass(a member of Legislative Assembly from the Bharatiya Janata Party who was elected as Speaker f Legislative Assembly in 2016 when Sarbananda Sonowal became Chief Minister).
- He further attended Unity, Peace, and Development rally at Denarong, Karbi Anglong.
- Sarma delivered a speech at the historic birthplace of Shrimanta Shankardev at Batadrava, Nagaon.
- Another tweet was shared whereby Sarma said that he feels blessed to have joined Union Home Minister Sri Amit Shah in the foundation stone laying ceremony for various development works at Bordowa Satra which is the birthplace of Mahapurush Shrimanta Shankardev along with Honourable Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, Sri Jay Panda and Sri Ranjeet Kumar Dass.
- Sarma visited Bordowa, Nagaon whereby Honourable Home Minister Amit Shah addressed a Public Rally at Bordowa, Nagaon. People participated with breathtaking enthusiasm and energy said Sarma in his tweet.
- A live video of Sarma delivering a speech was shared from Sharab Bhatti, Guwahati.
- The next video was regarding the value of the proposed flyover between Sarabhatti and Nepali Mandir.
- Sarma next joined Honourable Chief Minister Sarvananda Sonowal at the launch of construction work of 790 meters 2 lane flyover at Sarabbhati Intersection on Guwahati-Garhbhanga Road, project worth Rs. 149.07 cr.
- On the 26th February, 2021 Sarma made a tweet saluting the brave armed forces for their consistent efforts to protect India.
- Sarma also attended Women Convention Kanaklata Mahila Sabolikaron Achoni organized by P&RD Department at Sivasagar.
- Sarma next participated in laying the foundation stone of RCC bridges and many other projects at Sonari. The program was attended by Minister Jogen Mohan, Member of Parliament Kamakhya Tasa and Topon Kumar Gogo, and Members of the Legislative Assembly. This initiative would help smooth movement in the area.
- On 28th February, Sarma spoke about the various initiatives of Kaziranga National Park to conserve 'water birds' and migratory birds.